Monday, April 6, 2009

6 weeks, 4 days old



6 weeks & 1 day old... getting frisky

Well I am finally updating my blog! At least I'm going to try to, as long as Faith keeps sleeping soundly. So we found out why her eyes were swelling. Well we don't really know what started it but it has to do with paralysis of the muscles of her eyes (I guess?). I know it's something like Bell's palsy but I forget the medical term for it. She is still blinking them but it's as if the inside of her top eyelids are falling out. The right eyelid needs to be "stuffed" back under and held closed but I managed to prevent the left eyelid from drooping out. As soon as I saw it start to swell up I taped it closed and you know what... it sounds crazy and looks odd but it actually worked. So now that the swelling is down the left eye still looks normal on the outside, but she has little eyepatches (well, non-stick pads that we tape over them) on both eyes just to keep them from getting any worse, and obviously to hold everything in on her right eye. Anyway... so that is the whole eye situation. Not too many issues other than that. Her breathing has been good and I'm weening her off the Prednisolone (it was every 6 hours and now it's every 12 hours) and the Ventolin. The poor girl still has a cold and she's at the stage where she's stiffing all the time and her nose gets plugged, so I've been puting the bulb syringe to good use. We had to make a trip to the ER at 3am on Saturday morning because her feeding tube slipped out, but no troubles there. Trauma was empty so we took her in there to get out of the waiting room and it was nice and quiet. The triage nurse had actually read this blog before and knew who Faith was, so that was cool! So we had a very early morning on Saturday... but that tube was looking grungy and needed to be replaced soon anyway, so this was a good excuse to do so. Faith's uncle Phil was home for the weekend and got up the nerve to hold her for the first time hehe... he's in first year university but sometimes he comes home on the weekends. I think next weekend is Easter (so I'm told) so maybe he'll be home again then. Last Easter Sunday I was baptized but I'm not sure if I'll even get to church this year. I don't want Faith to catch any germs, otherwize I would... Okay, that's all I have time for. Just wanted to update you all cause I know it's been a while since I posted. If I don't post again for a couple of days, don't freak! I'm just a very busy mommy, as I'm sure you can understand. Thanks for checking in!