Tuesday, March 17, 2009

26 days old

Well, so far Faith seems to be tolerating the tube feed well. I am gradually increasing the amount of milk that she gets at each feeding, and so far we are up to 20mL every 3 hours. I'm increasing the amount a bit faster than the dietitian recommended, but I want to get up to 30mL q 3hrs as soon as possible, since that is the minimum fluid intake she needs to keep hydrated. Once we're up to 30mL then we can start working towards her recommended caloric intake, which is waaay more than she's been getting by syringe. In retrospect, I have no idea what I was thinking allowing her to lose so much weight before inserting a tube feed. I was trying to avoid a tube feed, but I should have been keeping a closer eye on how much milk she was actually getting. When they weighed her in trauma yesterday, she was only 5 pounds and 4 ounces (with her dressing, hat, and diaper on). I didn't realize how malnourished she was but I should have... kind of makes me feel stupid for not addressing this sooner. Anyway, I'm just relieved that the tube is in and Faith can get all the nourishment that her little body needs. Grammy bought a souckie for her to suck on during feedings if she wants to. Hopefully she likes it... I know she likes to suck on my finger. Oh, by the way... Faith's umbilical cord came off today! It's an innie :) 

Here is a video that was taken on Saturday afternoon. It's just a random home video of me, Faith, and Grammy in the kitchen. Hope you like it...
 
6
6 min 40 sec (cutest sound ever)